Learning Objectives of the Probability and Statistics throughout the Curriculum linking course:
In addition to and in coordination with the general goals of the M302 courses, students in M302: Prob-Stats will...
- Learn how to pose conceptually focused problems in high school probability and statistics.
- Connect probability and statistics concepts vertically through middle school and high school.
- Examine ways to help students justify and explain the use of combinations, permutations, and the counting principle.
- Design thought-provoking high school tasks related to probability and statistics.
- Recognize how theoretical ideas from probability and statistics are connected to Indiana and NCTM Standards.
- Apply the addition and multiplication rules of probability to problems in context
- Explore methods of data collection and analysis.
- Learn how to use various technologies effectively to analyze and summarize one-variable data.
- Develop conceptual and procedural understanding of the purpose and use of simulations.
- Develop conceptual and procedural understanding of the purpose and use of experimental probability.
- Develop conceptual and procedural understanding of the purpose and use of binomial probability.
- Investigate the application of probability in games and television shows.
Summary of Objectives:
The learning objectives listed above focus on probability and statistical content throughout grades 7-12, plus the creation and analysis of problems in context. I expect you to understand the content coming into the class; therefore we will focus on problem solving activities appropriate for the particular grade level and standards.